Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Finance and Christianity

Talking with my roommate, I mentioned how a lot of the Christians I know are in finance. He replied, "I don't understand how as a Christian you would ever go into finance or banking or anything of that sort. How is that supposed to be glorifying to God?"


And honestly I agree with him. A lot of the Sternies I know have said that they are simply interested in markets or find the job itself appealing but I always gave them the same response: "In the end, your entire career will still revolve around only one thing and that's maximizing profit."


How is a career that's based on making the most money you possibly can supposed to be glorifying to God? Are you actually doing anything that God calls upon you to do? I see people at Wall Street slaving away their lives, working for big shot MD's and CEO's. And for what purpose? Let's say it's not about the money. What else is there then? You get promoted and feel good about yourself? You get published in an article and earn fame and recognition? Everything is still about YOU. Sure you can say you're helping other people and companies by providing a service but the main goal is still to maximize profit. And no matter how you view it, the focal point will always be money.


If you ever come to a point where you have to lay someone off, are you going to just because somebody told you to? You might as well throw the poor soul off the Empire State Building. I'm quite disappointed and disgusted at how my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ can enter such a profession.


The reason I chose to go into medicine may seem cliché but I truly want to help others because I believe I can empathize with them. Ever since my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, I've wanted nothing more than to be able to help others who experience similar situations. 

I guess I don't understand how two different professions can be so vastly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment