Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How Much Can Words Truly Convey?

Sitting on the family room couch, I stare blankly at the flickering cursor, waiting for my fingers to begin typing words to appear on the white word document. Such a simple question: "Why do you want to be a doctor?" I type up an answer roughly a page long, single-spaced. I step away, grab a Dr. Pepper, and come back to read my answer again. I shake my head in disapproval. I highlight the page, click the delete button, and write up another answer. My answer looks okay but another word that my friend has been throwing around a lot seems to be a better adjective - inadequate.

One of my friends talked to me yesterday about how she doesn't know how to approach writing her personal statement for medical school applications. She listed all of her concerns - what if her words aren't enough to convey to the admissions committee how much she truly wants to be a doctor or what if her words make her seem "inadequate" as an applicant. And it's a valid question - how much can a one-page answer convey to an admissions committee about an individual's desire and qualifications in becoming a doctor? And I know there's many factors that the committee takes into account, such as GPA, MCAT score, volunteer work, research experience, etc. But the personal statement is thought to be the one chance we have as an applicant to show who we are as an individual, as a human being before the interview, if granted one.

How much can words truly convey? Can the committee see the difference between an applicant who genuinely wants to help others and an applicant who just wants money and fame? What specific words or phrases reveal that difference? What do we as applicants have to write to leave a memorable impression?

I truly believe that God wants me to be a doctor and I'm praying that whatever I write will work to convey the same love and grace that God has shown me but I can't help but be skeptical and have the same doubts and concerns as my friend. Can mere words be enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment