Monday, January 21, 2013

Sunday Sermons

I've attended City Grace Church enough times by now to know the worship team and to recognize specific faces. I thought that by attending a church where I knew a lot of people would be beneficial for me to try to build a sense of community. For a while I looked forward to going to church on Sunday. But with each passing week I began to feel more isolated as everyone at church already seemed to have their own friends and cliques. Even the people I knew seemed to enjoy each other's company while I stood by silently, often wanting to leave as soon as the sermon was over.

I guess I only have myself to blame in that I never really made an effort to get to know people but I've always been pretty reserved when it comes to introducing myself. I feel like I should attend church but I've always hated how the feeling of isolation and loneliness seems to follow me. As for the sermons themselves, I feel like I'm not getting much out of them either. I do pay attention and listen attentively but nothing ever really resonates with me. Is there a bigger problem I'm not seeing?

No comments:

Post a Comment